darker days

(με αφορμη την κυκλοφορια της συλλογης new york noise - vol.3 - music from the new york underground 1979-1984)


Darker Days As I Recall Them
by Robin Crutchfield
Being an account, by way of
recollection, of my early days and
migration to New York City,
as well as my move from the
pursuit of art for art’s sake to the pursuit of music for art’s sake.

EARLY LIFE

I come from a small family that migrated from Dayton, Ohio to southeastern Pennsylvania in 1960. I had a largely forgettable and sheltered childhood, spent primarily in silent contemplation, alone in my room, drawing pictures and listening to the most esoteric edges of rock and roll music. My eyes weren’t opened to the world until 1970-72, the two years I spent under the influence of Alan Goldstein who taught sculpture, and my mentor and spiritual advisor Marion Anderson, in the Bucks County Community College fine arts department. Knowing them started the spark to carry me creatively through a third year at another school which was less than desirable. Trenton State was a teachers’ college that nobody seemed to want to be at and that included me. I was waiting out the war, and the draft, and fine tuning my skills in performance art to the utter disdain of staff and students alike. I had a course of independent study in painting where I did things like «paintings to be walked through». More than anything else at the time, I was inspired by Yoko Ono’s book «Grapefruit». (Also, her album «Plastic Ono Band» which I shall refer to later). I was fortunate in meeting teacher Ned Gibby, who helped me to find out more about fluxus, performance art, earthworks, minimalism, and other assorted New York eccentricities by introducing me to various publications including Avalanche magazine, and I exposed myself to the New York art subculture by absorbing every issue I could get my hands on.
η συνεχεια εδω

Comments

H2O said…
Kai to Back to mine & to New York Noise (mazi me thn Late NIght Tales ) einai apisteutes silloges !! tis latreuw